Lets catch up on some of the famous historic sites in Bangladesh.
Traditionally, Bangladesh had retained its standing for an individual at the traffic circle of many cultures. The remains of wonderful cities and monuments gone following in a variety of parts of the country by the departure dynasties of rulers still bear evidence to the richness of its artistic tradition. Spread throughout the country are numerous historical places that have survived the natural calamities. These days they offer the tourists a glance into the history of this country and its rich inheritance. Listed below are some of the renowned historical places in Bangladesh.
Historical places in Bangladesh:
• Shaheed Minar
• Tajrat Rajbari
• Ahsan Manzil
• Lalbagh Fort
• National Memorial
• National Museum
• National Parliament Complex
• Chhota Sona Masjid
• Baitul Mukarram – The National Mosque
• Star Mosque
• Hussaini Dalan
• Gandhi Ashram
The Shaheed Minar is a national monument in Dhaka. It was designed, built & established by Hamidur Rahman, a Bangladeshi sculptor to commemorate those killed during the Language Movement demonstrations of 1952 when Bangla was given equal status as Urdu. The monument stood until the Bangladesh Liberation war in 1971, when it was demolished completely during ‘Operation Searchlight’. After Bangladesh gained Independence, it was rebuilt. Today the Shaheed Minar is the centre of cultural activities in Dhaka. Every year the language movement is remembered at the monument.
Tajhat is a historical place of Bangladesh, located near Lalbagh, Rangpur. It has a nice Jamidarbari (Palace) which in 2005 was turned into a museum. The palace in Tajhat, commonly known as Tajhat Rajbari was built by Maharaja Kumar Gopal Lal Roy in the beginning of the 20th century. He was a descendent of a Hindu khatari who emigrated from Punjab. He was a jeweler by profession. It is believed that from the conspicuous appearance of his Taj or jeweled crown his estate derived the name of Tajhat.
Ahsan Manzil is considered to be one of the most noteworthy architectural monuments in Bangladesh. This magnificent building is situated on the banks of the Buriganga River that flows beside Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh. Ahsan Manzil was previously the official palace of the Dhaka Nawab family and is currently a museum preserving the culture and history of the area.
Lalbaugh Fort is an incomplete Mughal palace fortress at the Buriganga River in the south western part of Dhaka. Construction was commenced in 1678 by Prince Muhammad Azam during his 15-month long vice-royalty of Bengal, but before the work could complete, he was recalled by Aurangzeb. His successor, Shaista Khan, did not complete the work, though he stayed in Dhaka up to 1688. His daughter bibi pari (Lady Fairy) died here in 1684 and this led him to consider the fort to be ominous.
The National Memorial is located at Savar, about 35 km from Dhaka, designed by architect Moinul Hossain. It is considered to be a symbol of the nation’s respect for the martyrs of the war of Liberation in 1971. It was built with Concrete, but made of blood. It stands on a base measuring 130 feet wide and it stands 150 feet tall upright for the millions of martyrs who laid their lives.
This museum was established as Dhaka National Museum in 1913. It has been renamed as the National Museum and was shifted to its new building at Shahbag in 1983. It is a four storied building and has forty galleries under four departments, namely:
(1) Natural History
(2) History and Classical Art
(3) Ethnography and Decorative Art and
(4) Contemporary Art and world Civilization
National Parliament Complex:
It is one of the most majestic public buildings in Bangladesh. The National Parliament complex is located at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar of Dhaka city. The National Parliament Building is an architectural masterpiece for which the nation can be said to be justifiably proud. Louis. I. Kahn, one of the greatest architects was initially selected for designing the complex which would include the National Parliament Building, Hostels for members of parliament, Ministers and Secretaries, hospitality halls and communally buildings.
Chhota Sona Masjid:
One of the most graceful monuments of the Sultanate period is the Chhota Sona Masjid or Small Golden Mosque at Gaur in Rajshahi Built by one Wali Muhammad during the reign of Sultan Alauddin Husain Shah (1493-1519). Originally it was roofed over with 15 gold-gilded domes including the 3 Chauchala domes in the middle row, from which it derives its curious name.
It is called the Seat of Lost Dynasties. About 8 km to the west of Comilla town, situated 114 km southeast of Dhaka, lies a range of low hills known as the Mainamati-Lalmai ridge, which was an extensive centre of Buddhist culture. On the slopes or these hills lie scattered a treasure of information about the early Buddhist civilization (7th-12th Century AD.). At Salban in the middle or the ridge, excavations have laid bare a large Buddhist Vihara (monastery) with an imposing central shrine. It has revealed valuable information about the rule of the Chandra and Deva dynasties which flourished here from the 7th to the 12th century AD. The whole range of hillocks runs for about 18 km and is studded with more than 50 sites.
Baitul Mukkram – The National Mosque:
Baitul Mukarram Mosque is situated at Purana Paltan, east of Bangladesh Secretariat and north of Dhaka Stadium. It’s the largest Mosque in the city, three storied and built after the pattern of the Kaba Sharif. It has a vast veranda which is also used for prayers and Eid congregation.
A very beautiful mosque of the city is situated at Mahuttuly on Abul Khairat Road. Architecturally faultless (Mughal style) is a five-dome mosque with hundreds of big and small twinkling stars as surface decorations. The stars have been created by setting pieces of chinaware on white cement. Seen from the front and from far it looks as if shining above the surface of the earth. The inside is even more beautiful than the outside, lovely mosaic floor and excellent tiles with many floral patterns set on the walls.
Paharpur is treated as the largest Buddhist Seat of Learning of South Asia. It is a small village, 5 km west of Jamalganj in the greater Rajshahi district, where the remains of the most important and the largest known monastery south of the Himalayas has been excavated.The entire establishment, occupying a Quadrangular court, measures more than 300 m and varies from 3.5 to 4.5 m in height with an elaborate gateway complex on the north, there are 45 cells on the north and 44 in each of the other three sides, with a total number of 177 rooms.
Hussaini Dalan a Shiite shrine in the old part of the city of Dhaka is attributed to the Mughal Period. It is a common practice among the Shia community to build edifices to commemorate the martyrdom of al-Husain, at the battle of Karbala in Iraq on the tenth day of Muharram 61 AH (10 October 680 AD). The building seems to have been originally erected by one Sayyid Murad during the governorship of Shah Shuja, who although himself a Sunni, was eager to preserve and patronise Shiite institutions.
Mahasthangar is considered as the oldest archaeological site of the country. It is located at a distance of 18 km north or Bogra town on the western bank of the Karatoa River. The spectacular site is an imposing landmark in the area having a long fortified enclosure. Beyond the fortified area, other ancient ruins fan out within a semicircle of about 8 km radius. This 3rd century B.C. archaeological site is still held to be of great sanctity by the Hindus. Every year (mid-April) and once every 12 years (in December) thousands of Hindu devotees join the bathing ceremony on the bank of the Karatoa River.
Gandhi Ashram is situated at Jayag in Noakhali district. This ashram was established in the memory of historic visit of the Mahatma Gandhi to Noakhali and devoted to his ideology. In 1946-47 Mahatma the protagonist of Ahimsa ideology visited this region with a view to preach peace. Historical Charka and other valuables used by Mahatma are preserved in this ashram which evokes deep respect to the unique memories of the great soul.